If you’ve ever suffered the loss of a loved one, as most of us have, you know that the experience often makes us feel that we are alone. We come to believe that no one else really has any conception of the grief and pain that becomes a part of our daily lives. In this, of course we are wrong, and to prove it many have immortalized those feelings in film. Here are a few movies that prove that others do relate to your experience of losing a loved one:
- Ordinary People (1980): Screen legend Robert Redford’s directorial debut revolves around the lives of an average American family tormented by the death of a son. The mother, played by Mary Tyler Moore, tries to conceal her feeling of loss behind a facade of iciness.
- Ghost (1990): This movie starring the late Patrick Swayze and Demi Moore is a romantic/fantasy thriller about a young woman, played by Moore, whose boyfriend is killed while the couple is being mugged. Ultimately, Swayze’s spirit guides and protects Moore warning her that his killing was not a random act of crime. This blockbuster poignantly captures the grief felt by Moore throughout the movie and has a beautiful and encouraging message about the afterlife.
- My Girl (1991): Dealing with the loss of a loved one is difficult enough as an adult. However, it is often even more so for children. This movie tells the story of a young girl (Anna Chlu
- msky) whose young friend ends up dying from bee stings. If this isn’t bad enough, the young girl is an orphan whose mother has passed.
- Sleepless in Seattle (1993): This Tom Hanks romantic classic tells the story of a man who has lost his wife and is trying to raise his son. His friends tell him that it is time to move on and find a new wife which most of the movie deals with. However, all throughout the film we are reminded how the memory of his late wife stays with him and his son.
- Babel (2006): This heart rendering drama features two stories of loss. In the first, a married couple played by Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett lose an infant. In the second, a teenage deaf mute is tormented by the suicide of her mother.
Some people argue that there is no such thing as a true catharsis however a well crafted and sensitive movie about loss can bring us pretty close. Expressions of love and respect can also be shown with personalized custom wind chimes phase one and engraved memorial plaques phase one gifts. Our site even lets you hear how the chimes will sound.